Thinking of renovating your home, but don’t know how or where to start? The home improvement process can be challenging, especially if you don’t know which upgrades should be prioritized. True enough, it’s difficult to imagine the finished look before you even begin. With so many ideas and decisions running through your mind, getting started can be quite overwhelming. No worries, though. We’re here to help you get your priorities straight.
Ask yourself the right questions: What areas in your home actually need attention? What’s your dream remodel like? What’s your remodeling budget? Your needs, wants and financial capability all have a significant impact on your remodeling decisions. After identifying these things, you need to ask yourself why you actually want to perform the upgrades you’re planning. For example, if your goal is to boost your property’s value, you might make different choices than if you’re trying to adapt your home to meet your needs for the next 10 years or so.
If you’re trying to enhance the overall beauty, comfort, value and energy efficiency of your home, you should definitely consider exterior remodeling projects like window and door replacement.
Why Window and Door Replacement?
Looking to give your home an easy, hassle-free facelift? What are you waiting for? Swap out your old and boring front door with a high-performance unit that welcomes friends and family to your humble abode, and then add stylish window replacements engineered for maximum thermal performance. Installing new windows and doors can yield a variety of benefits, including:
- Reinforcing your home’s weather protection. Most of the available windows and doors on the market today are equipped with advanced features and technologies that help them perform excellently against outdoor elements. This means they can prevent drafts, hail and rain from entering your home all while keeping a cozy interior temperature.
- Breathing new life into your home’s exterior. You only get one chance to make a positive first impression! New windows and doors can offer a gorgeous combination of beauty and elegance to improve curb appeal, turning heads for the right reasons.
- Helping reduce your home’s energy consumption. Replacing single-pane windows and drafty doors with energy-efficient units can potentially increase your energy savings by up to 25%.
- Increasing your home’s overall value. Window and door replacement projects are two of the best remodeling projects to invest in if you’re trying to boost your home value. According to the 2018 Cost vs. Value report, window replacement can offer up to a 74.3% return on investment while door replacement is rated with a 91.3% ROI.
What to Look for in a Window and Door Replacement
Installing new windows and doors in your home is a smart decision. However, the process of choosing the right replacement units can be tricky. Today’s windows and doors come in so many options they can make your head spin, so keep in mind that the success of your upgrade will mostly depend on how well you plan. Before actually purchasing new windows and doors, be sure to do your homework and research on the best materials and features for which to look.
When you’re in the process of shopping for new windows and doors, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- Durability – Replacement windows and doors should be able to keep you and your family safe from harsh conditions and other external threats.
- Beauty – Superior construction and design will show, contributing to improving your home’s appearance.
- Energy Efficiency – Energy-efficient windows and doors stabilize indoor temperature, resulting in lower utility costs. It’s all thanks to high-quality insulated frames and low-emissivity glass, which when used together can significantly boost thermal performance through increased home insulation.
Window and Door Options For Your Every Need
Not all windows and doors are created equal. Each style offers unique features and benefits appropriate for a specific need. For example, if you’re looking for a replacement that will match the timeless and classic design of your traditional home, your best options are double hung windows and hinged French doors. For a customizable, modern design, choose specialty windows and contemporary gliding doors. Casement windows offer abundant ventilation as picture windows provide panoramic views while sliding windows have space-saving features. Bay and bow windows offer additional indoor floor space. If you’re looking for a door that effortlessly captures the traditional and modern essence of today’s homes, you can install sliding French doors.
An exterior home improvement project is a lot of work, but if you do your homework and consider the right factors, you can make the most of it. Don’t hesitate to consult as well with a professional window and door contractor. Their experience and expertise will certainly make things so much easier for you.
Charlie Gindele is the owner of Renewal by Andersen® of Orange County. With more than 45 years of experience in window replacement, he’s become one of the most trusted people in the industry. This recognition has also allowed him to teach budding contractors across North America, sharing what he knows to further improve window replacement services. Check out the company blog for updates from Charlie!