Most homeowners tend to replace their roofing systems only once in their lifetime. When it’s time to get a new one, however, you have to make sure you can fully get the most out of it. After all, roof replacement takes a significant amount of time and money. You’ll want to avoid any decision that can lead to costly and serious mistakes. Fortunately, this is easier than you might expect. When investing in a new roofing system, just consider these handy tips:
1. Choose a Durable, Long-Lasting Roofing Material
Did you know that your choice of roofing material can directly affect your new system’s longevity and performance? For this reason, do your research on the roofing options available to you, starting with the popular choices. Compare their distinctive features, relating them to your home’s weather protection needs and decide from there.
Popular roofing options include:
- Asphalt shingles. Great for those on a budget, they are lightweight and don’t require additional support structures to hold them up, unlike heavier materials like tile and slate. This means they’re faster and easier to install, helping cut back on labor costs. Asphalt shingles are also highly versatile, allowing for many design possibilities. They come in a wide selection of colors, textures and thicknesses to fit your customization needs. In fact, they can even emulate the look and feel of genuine slate and wood shakes, which is handy when you’re aiming for architectural accuracy. With proper installation and maintenance, asphalt shingle roofing may last up to 20 years.
- Excellent for those looking for a sleek and durable roofing system, this material can easily shed rain and snow for great weather performance. It also comes with inherent reflective properties that help reduce heat transfer in your home, allowing for greater indoor comfort minus the high cooling bills. Metal roofing isn’t lacking in the looks department either, providing a streamlined, finished look that’s a staple in Contemporary-Modern homes. A properly installed and maintained metal roof may last up to 50 years.
- Perfect for those looking for a classy and long-lasting roofing material, it can, in fact, last for a century when properly installed and maintained. Aside from its warm, earthy look and durability, this material is energy-efficient. There’s a reason why most homes in hot and arid regions have a tile roof. Its design allows for better airflow, helping cool your home naturally.
2. Make Sure Your Choice of Roofing Material Matches Your Home’s Architecture
You’ll want your home to stand out in a good way, and one way of ensuring that is opting for a roofing material that matches your home. Here’s a quick guide:
- Metal is commonly found in Modern and Contemporary homes because its design complements the sleek and neat lines of these distinctive architectural styles. Metal roofing, however, is also gaining traction in traditional homes because they’re now available in shingle, shake and tile designs.
- Tile is perfect in Spanish-Mission and Mediterranean-style homes, which highlight warm and earthy colors. Tile roofing is the distinctive touch that preserves the legacy of European-style architecture.
- Asphalt shingles are actually versatile enough to match most home styles, making them an exceptional choice. Whether it’s Colonial or Craftsman, French Tudor or Queen Anne, shingles will deliver to your aesthetic needs.
3. Hire a Reliable Roofing Contractor
You’ll be relying on your choice of roofer to ensure your replacement project runs smoothly from start to finish. Start looking for the right one by getting local referrals from family and friends. Following that, be diligent enough to check that your roofing contractor is:
- Licensed to perform this kind of work in your area. A licensed roofer will ensure the work has the necessary building permits and will follow local codes and safety regulations.
- Insured to better protect you and your investment in case of worker injuries and property damage.
- Bonded to ensure you’re compensated should the roofing contractor fail to complete the work or fulfill their responsibilities to you.
- Certified so you’re sure the work adheres to quality specifications. This also gives you access to solid roofing warranties.
- Experienced to eliminate the potential for costly and time-consuming mistakes, allowing for a safer and smoother work process.
Make sure you and your choice of roofing contractor are on the same page about protecting your property from unnecessary mess and damage.
4. Get a Detailed Contract From Your Roofer
A solemn promise and a firm handshake aren’t enough. To make everything legitimate and official, there should be a written contract. It should clearly state the:
- Scope of work
- Project timeline
- Expected purchases and corresponding receipts
- Payment options and schedule
- Proof of insurance with workers’ compensation and liability coverage
- Change orders
5. Make Sure the Contractor Offers Solid Roofing Warranties
This helps add an extra layer of protection to your investment. To detail, your roofing warranty must have:
- Material coverage to protect your investment should the roofing material fail before it can be reasonably expected to break down.
- Workmanship guarantee to protect your investment in case the roofing contractor hasn’t done a proper job of installing your new system.
The right roofing system can drastically improve your home’s look and feel. Getting a new roof can be a significant investment, so you’re going to want to make sure that you make the right choice. Whether your primary concern is aesthetic or functional in nature, opting for a roof that can provide superior weather protection will take you far. To learn more about roof replacement, don’t hesitate to get in touch with a reputable roofing expert in your area.
John Sanchez is the production manager for Goodrich Roofing. A professional roofer’s son, he fell in love with the roofing industry while working side-by-side with his father. Today, he aims to provide only the highest-quality roofing solutions in and around Albuquerque, NM. When not providing homeowners with quality roofs, he likes to spend time with his family and play sports. Check out the company blog for updates from John!