Is your home calling for new siding? All siding materials are naturally made to be reliable to some extent as they are meant to protect homes from the elements. However, there are a select few that stand above the competition, including James Hardie®. Offering fiber cement siding products, the brand brings together the benefits of other siding options in the market today while eliminating flaws and disadvantages that get in the way of your home’s form and function.
What Are James Hardie Siding Products Made Of?
James Hardie offers a variety of fiber cement siding products made with cellulose fibers from plant materials combined with sand and cement. The resulting mixture of the materials is dyed and pressed to form various siding profiles and types. Given the materials that make it up, James Hardie siding is able to provide everything you’d ever require from an exterior cladding product, including durability and weather resistance among others.
THE LOOK OF WOOD: James Hardie siding comes in various styles and profiles, and can mimic the look of other siding materials, such as wood.
Is James Hardie Worth the Investment?
Installed on more than 5 million homes in the U.S., James Hardie has quite the reputation in the building industry, and the brand’s reputation for proven quality can largely be attributed to the benefits their siding systems offer.
- Longevity – Because of its remarkable durability, James Hardie siding is slated to last for at least 50 years. For your peace of mind, this long service life is backed by extensive limited transferable warranties with coverage ranging from 10 to 50 years.
- Appearance – James Hardie siding is treated with special finishing and coloring technology, where multiple coats of pigment are baked onto the products, allowing for vibrant and consistent finish and color for years. These siding products also come in a wide variety of styles – they can be made to mimic the look of other siding types, such as wood lap boards, wood shake and cedar shake siding.
- Moisture and Rot Resistance – Water is vital to life, but it can be an enemy to building materials including siding, but this isn’t the case with James Hardie. The brand’s products are specially engineered to withstand damage coming from frequent moisture exposure, eliminating chances of rot and mold and mildew buildup.
- Storm and Weather Resistance – James Hardie siding is designed to withstand the demands of every type of climate. It can stand up against heavy and strong wind, hail, snow and rain, maintaining its beauty and function no matter the time of the year.
HAIL DAMAGE: Other siding products can be easily damaged by hail, but not James Hardie’s.
- Pest Resistance – Some animals are cute and cuddly, but some can wreak havoc on your home, especially when you have certain siding materials installed. For instance, wood siding can be easily pecked on by birds and eaten by termites. Rodents can also chew their way through less durable siding while bees can even live inside your walls if your siding is not sturdy enough to keep them out. With James Hardie products, these pesky creatures will not be a problem.
- Fire Resistance – Wood is flammable, so siding made from the material is particularly prone to fires, especially in areas e to wildfires. Vinyl siding is no better, melting when exposed to high temperatures. Installing James Hardie siding gives you the assurance that you have additional protection against fire as the brand’s products are non-combustible and will not contribute fuel to a fire. Additionally, you may be able to get discounts on your home insurance premium because of the added layer of security you have.
- Lasting Looks and Value – With all of its benefits, James Hardie siding offers lifetime value. Should you be looking to sell, you can count on the boost in curb appeal to quickly get your home noticed on the market. Should you wish to stay in your home, you’ll have long-lasting looks and function to count on for the years to come, ensuring you get the most out of your investment.
MIX AND MATCH: Mixing and matching siding types gives your home more depth.
- Eco-friendliness – James Hardie siding uses cellulose fibers from non-endangered wood species, making it more sustainable than wood siding. It also lasts long, reducing the need for replacement, which in turn decreases the amount of debris that makes itsay to landfills.
If you are looking for siding that can provide you with the benefits listed above, then choosing James Hardie could prove to be a wise decision. Beautiful and durable, it’s a surefire way to make the most of siding replacement.
How to Make the Most of James Hardie Siding?
The first step towards enjoying the perks of using James Hardie is to choose the right siding products for your home, starting with zeroing in on what will best match your property’s architectural style and overall design. Depending on what you prefer, you can choose from HardiePlank® (lap siding), HardieShingle® (shingle siding) and HardiePanel® (vertical siding), complementing your choice with the right trim and other accents. Want to mix and match? Go ahead!
Aside from choosing the right products, another all-important step in making the most of James Hardie siding is to ensure proper installation. By working only with a certified contractor, you guarantee your new siding will be installed according to specifications set by the brand, creating ideal conditions for your siding to perform well. Entrusting your siding project to certified professionals also means getting access to James Hardie’s generous warranties, protecting you against material defects.
James Hardie siding has a lot to offer you. Should you wish to learn more about the brand and its offerings, as well as how you can make the most out of getting new siding, don’t hesitate to get in touch with a certified installer today.
Terry Stamman is the chief executive officer of Twin Cities Siding Professionals. With the goal of making the company the best siding company in Twin Cities, he takes the time to personally oversee projects they handle. He also finds time to share his professional knowledge and experience to home- and property owners by writing blogs and articles. Check out the company blog for updates from Terry!