If you’ve never had a window replaced before, you probably have quite a number of questions in your mind. You might also be wondering what the advantages of hiring a professional window replacement company are as well as how a certified contractor works and how exactly you can find a reliable one.
Window replacement is a valuable home improvement project as it can enhance your property in more ways than one, which is why you shouldn’t entrust it to just anyone. Here are three ways turning to a professional can help you ensure the success of your window replacement project.
1. A Professional Contractor Can Help You Choose the Right Replacement Window
If you hire a contractor the moment you need to replace one or more of your windows, the contractor can help you decide which replacement windows would work best and the exact specifications of the replacement windows you need.
If you choose to do this on your own, you will run into some difficulty because you don’t have the same level of knowledge about windows that professional contractors have. Your neighborhood handyman may be able to help you with the installation work itself, but they don’t necessarily specialize in window replacement. So, they won’t be properly equipped to recommend options for you.
COMPLETE PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE: Part of the success that professional window contractors guarantee comes from their manufacturer-training and certifications.
2. A Professional Contractor Works Efficiently
The foremost reason many homeowners choose to do their own window replacement is to save on labor costs. Because you don’t have to hire anyone to do the work for you, you indeed save money, which will feel definitely good. However, this good feeling might not last considering the risks you’re undertaking by not entrusting your window replacement to a professional. After all, doing the work without the right skills, knowledge and tools puts your window replacement in danger of mishaps, which could cost just as much, if not more than, the original price tag attached to your project.
Aside from saving you money by preventing costly mistakes, hiring a professional contractor also lets you save on time. Contractors follow a tried-and-tested window replacement process, so they leave no room for mistakes that could derail your project and make it last longer than it should. This means your new windows will be up in no time, keeping disruption to your everyday life to a minimum.
STREAMLINED REPLACEMENT PROCESS: Professional window contractors are able to work efficiently because of the standard replacement procedures they already have in place.
3. A Professional Contractor is Insured
Replacing a window is far from an easy task, though professionals may make it seem like it is. Aside from being labor-intensive, there’s an amount of safety risk involved in the project. Anything can go wrong, so it’s best to be prepared.
This is the reason why professional contractors have insurance. They usually have workmen’s compensation and liability insurance. So, should anything go wrong during the project, not only are their workers insured, but the homeowner would not need to worry about unnecessary liabilities arising from injury or damage to property.
Window Replacement With a Professional: What to Expect
Professional contractors have their own processes down pat. Exact steps they take may vary, but they will all involve a certain set of tasks designed to ensure accurately measured replacements and proper installation. These tasks include:
- Acquiring exact measurements
- Ensuring necessary permits are obtained
- Helping you choose the right replacement window
- Preparing the area for installation
- Performing the actual installation (including removal of old units)
- Ensuring proper operation
- Cleaning up after installation
If your window replacement project goes as planned, you simply have to sit back and enjoy as you get new windows for your home. However, even with the best plans, problems can still occur. Fortunately, with a professional by your side, you won’t have to worry about that as well!
Window experts have experience on numerous installation situations and are trained to provide solutions even for problems discovered by accident. For example, if your walls turn out to be extensively damaged after your old windows were removed, your window contractor will get to work fixing the issue before your new windows go in, ensuring your replacements’ performance will not be compromised.
How to Hire a Reliable Contractor
In most areas, there will be more than a few contractors capable of performing window installation. However, there’s a good chance that not all of them will be reliable. If you’ve ever experienced headaches with any type of contractor before, you’ll know what we’re talking about.
To avoid having so many problems during a window installation project, you first need to ensure that you hire a reputable contractor. Make sure that you:
- Hire a local contractor – Look for a contractor that has an office in your area. This way, you’ll know that the contractor has the necessary permits and licenses to operate in your locale, and you can easily get in touch with them when needed.
PHYSICALLY PRESENT: You should hire a window replacement company that has an actual, physical office in your area.
- Hire a contractor that can answer all your questions – Especially at the beginning, your contractor should be able and willing to answer whatever questions you might have. After all, how well they field your inquiries will show you how knowledgeable they are about window replacement. Who doesn’t want to work with the best, right? If your prospective contractor is unable to answer your questions or appears to be avoiding them, take your business elsewhere.
- Hire a contractor that can provide references – Perhaps the best proof that a contractor is reliable is their work references. If they can provide a list of past clients satisfied with their work, then there’s a good chance that they not only know what they are doing, but also offer excellent customer service.
Window replacement can be a significant investment, so it’s only natural that you want to ensure the home improvement project is a success. Take the time to find the right professional to work with, and you’re sure to make the most of your investment.
Kenneth Biddle has been in the home improvement industry for over 30 years. Specializing in window replacement, he believes in working with homeowners to ensure that they get what they want, need and deserve. To further help homeowners, he writes to share his knowledge and experiences. Check out the company blog for updates from Ken!